Thursday, September 20, 2007

Actions Speak Louder Than Words


Sometimes, despite my best intentions I fail. I promised someone we would go to a baseball game. It was something we used to do once a year. It didn't matter if our team won or lost it was the ritual that we enjoyed that made it so special.


First we would park and stop at the Kettle Corn stand just outside the stadium where I would pick up a back to eat during the game. There would always be a pretty full bag left over after the game but it was still a necessity just the same.


Once we entered the stadium we would locate our seats and then we would walk the perimeter of the stadium checking out the various food vendors. At some point we would stop and watch one of the pitchers practicing through the chain link fence.


After completing the full circle around the stadium we would head off in various directions to pick up our dinner. Meeting back at our seats we would settle in and enjoy dinner and anticipate the start of the game.


The rule was always the same. If a ball flew up into the stands I would duck and he would catch it. Then he would give me the ball. I still don't have a ball.


As the game began and the innings passed we would cheer, critique and he would advise me of various aspects of baseball . I will never forget our first game. He told me that I was his favorite person to watch games with. That I was a lot of fun. I loved that.


When the game ended and the crowds headed out I would place my arm in his and he would safely guide me out of the throng and back to the car.


It's been a few years since that time and we have some catching up to do. Several weeks ago I mentioned to him that we should go to a game again. He told me to pick one and we would go.

I said I would and promptly forgot. He didn't say anything. Not until today that is.


He said my actions did not match my words and that it has happened more than once. He reminded me of my promise and how that affected him. He didn't put a guilt trip on me or take it out on me in anger. He just told me how he felt.


You know what? He was right. I could make excuses, I could blame this or that. I could say how busy I was but in doing nothing I said he wasn't important. I told him that I am not a woman of my word.


In the end we all fail. We all make mistakes. I apologized and he forgave me. I needed to apologize. I needed to acknowledge his feelings. I needed to not brush them off.


I am a person of integrity. My word is my bond so to speak. When I don't live up to that I care. I never want to come to a place where it doesn't matter to me when my choices affect others.


Because in the end I want to be a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend and worker that everyone can count on.


Right now I need to get some tickets to a baseball game. I'm going to spend some time with my dad.




No comments: