Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Laney's Mom

I just received the email from Laney. Better known as Sunshine Cindy. Her mom is in a hospice in Maryland and about to meet the Lord. She asks for prayer especially for the the grand kids who will really miss grandma. Nothing once again for herself.

Laney loved her mom. This road right now is difficult. I remember getting on the plane that would take me to my mom in her final days and hours. I remember thinking, this is really it.
How do I walk this road? How do I smile right here and now when inside I am so afraid? How do I board this plane and wait out this flight knowing what is ahead. How do I go to it when I want in part to run from it.

I am not strong enough and yet I must. I want to be there. What will I say? What will I do? What will it be like? Can I do this? How can I not?

Walking into the hospice room this was it. It wasn't a dream. It was now and it was happening and all the years of growing up. All the good and bad were now culminating in this final few moments. The strong woman was breathing her last. The body showed the battle scars.

I know Laney. She will get in her moms face and whisper words of love while praying prayers of comfort. She will stroke her moms face and touch her hand while her mom grabs onto the hand of Jesus. She will cry, she will mourn. She will celebrate what her heart knows even though the pain is there. For many moments she will wish this was a dream and wish her health. But in the end she will be happy and wish her peace and wholeness.

Laney knows this close up. Laney has this disease. What Laney knows up front we only can guess at and that is just that one day we all will die of something. Life is precious.

I can go before Laney does. Laney just knows that right now there is something within her that won't heal. But she also knows she carries the one within her who can heal. Who can heal on this earth or in heaven. She knows the ultimate healer.

I ache for my friend. I ache for the road she must walk. I know this road. She will walk her own road and I pray she escapes some of the pain that I did. Still, it will hurt.

I am so thankful that this life is not the end. That someday we will see our loved ones again.

HD can take a lot but it can't take eternity.

In honor of my friends journey I offer this tribute. Another HD angel is about to gain her wings and in the process may God bring the ultimate comfort to her loved ones.

I love you Laney. We who know you love you too.

No comments: