Monday, October 29, 2007

Only 18!


He was only 18. I worked with him on Saturday at Madison House Retirement. I am the Activity Director at MH and he was on staff as a waiter in the Dinning Room. It was my turn to work on a Saturday as Manager on Duty at the facility.
They had been short on staff in the Dinning Room that week due to illness. I helped out during the lunch hour. Chris was working. He was in a good mood and I recall him talking about his classes at the Vo-Tech School he was attending.
He wasn't someone I knew well but someone I had contact with on a regular basis. One of the many young people who come and work in the Dinning Room. The picture doesn't look like him except in his smile and eyes. He looked younger here. Perhaps his hair being a bit longer made him seem more like in his 20's. Not 18.
Who would have guessed that within hours he would be killed while trying to stop a fight?
He was leaving a party early Sunday morning. He did not drink and was the designated driver. It had been a Halloween Party. As he was driving a short distance from the home of the party he noticed a fight in the street. Stopping the car he stepped out to intervene. A shot was fired and from what I know it went right into his heart. He died instantly.
The boy I worked alongside and talked to would be dead and it just seems so unreal to me that it happened. I am stunned and numb.
It was so useless. It's all over the news today. The staff and residents are saddened. It's pretty quiet at work today as we all grapple with our emotions and the realization that he won't be back...ever!
My son is just over a year younger than Chris. How many other kids would have tried to stop the fight? And shouldn't they? Should we walk away or do we try to help?

Why did this other kid carry a gun? They were all from the party. So I watch on the news and see flashes of his vehicle in the road. I remember that car in the parking lot next to mine on occasion.
Well I don't know the point of this post other than to say I am sad and I am sorry for him, for his family and for the one who will have to live with this guilt on his conscience. May something good come out of this very bad tragedy.
God's Speed Chris! The rest of you out there....be careful...you matter!

No comments: