Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I don't want a porta potty!



So last Thursday I had surgery! I was really excited to get this done as I was in a lot of pain. My left knee was out of a good part of cartilage and my right foot had a bunion. Sexy I know! So there I was Thursday getting into my bland, boring surgical gown, the one that makes everyone around look good because they have color and yours doesn't.

All the jewelry, the watch, clothes, glasses placed in a zipped up minature body bag. I told the doc if I died during surgery I forgave him. I knew I could not fit into this bag so it had to be for clothes. The nurse cheerily asked me to get on the weight scale. I told her it wasn't necessary. I have always believed there are speakers that run through out the other rooms that announce your weight.

Within 5 minutes I was out. I woke up and it was over. I was superwoman sort of.
My foot would remain numb for 24 hours and my knee was still numb as well.

Let me tell you trying to get to the bathroom on crutches is fun. Trying to sit on the toilet and bend your knee is not. I have gotten creative. So here I am on Tuesday and I have slept, read, slept, read and am I ever bored. I can't do much.

I tried taking the day off of pain meds to straighten out other things that were affected by pain meds. In the end of 12 hours the pain won and I took the meds.

I can think somewhat reasonably. My boss emailed me and suggested a porta potty for my bedroom. Okay so that is NOT going to happen. I can't do it. I would rather try by Braille to get to the bathroom holding on to anything than try to go in a porta potty. My post op is tomorrow. I don't know what he will say. I feel stuck. I want to get well fast. Waiting isn't a gift I was bestowed with from God.

So I thought I would just commiserate with you. Or just myself. As long as the doctor doesn't suggest a porta potty I think I will be okay.

Just getting there will be an experience. A friend is taking me.

Well if you ever end up with your body parts stitched up and need to talk I can listen. All I can do is listen. I would listen right now. Well I probably take my pain meds and sleep.

Good Night

1 comment:

Diane J Standiford said...

Funny--I WANT a porta potty, transferring from my lift-chair to power chair then to loo, is a pain in the assumption that I can transfer at all some days. Rejoice! YOU will heal and move on. Hey, knee surgeries are soo fast now, just incredible. I hope you have crutched over to my blog today.