Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Note In The Box

I remember being a child and the unexpected joy of finding a card with my name on it in the mailbox. It made me feel so special. Over the years it seems I have gotten more into sending emails. My kids send text messages. What happened to the lost art of sitting down and writing a letter?

Even now when I pick up the mail there is still a part of me that hopes to see a card or letter just for me. One from someone who cares.When I was going through testing to find out if I inherited my mother's disease, (I did not) there was a friend I knew from church who would send me weekly notes filled with encouragement just when I needed it most. I will never forget her for it. They would help change the course of my day.

Perhaps you have done something like that for someone else. You may not know the impact your gesture had but this I do know...you felt good that you took the time to do it.

I work among the senior population in an independent retirement home. Do you know what I see each day? These precious folks live for their mail. They wait for it and love when they receive personal cards and letters.

Whatever our age, we all like to know someone thinks of us.

Therein lies my challenge. First to myself, and then to anyone who might read this.

Who do you know who could use a note from you?

I know for myself it is easy to put it off or feel that my words will somehow come out short of what is in my heart.

Where I work there are some residents who are experiencing their first Valentine's this year without their spouse. There are so many people amongst us who are going through diffult times due to illness, relationship and/or financial struggles.

Still others bring joy unspeakable to our lives and we take for granted that they know how we feel and how they impacted us. Perhaps we should tell them.

I have heard it said that the difference between failure and success is often determined in seconds. Maybe we can take that extra minute and go the one extra mile for someone else this year. Little rutters can change the course of great big ships..our actions can change a life, least of all, our own.

If you have read this note and decided to take me up on the challenge, please write me and tell me about it. Also let me know if it is okay to publish your experience on this post. I promise to respect everyones privacy.

Today it is Janaury 30th 2008. I hope that by December 31, 2008 I have a lot of stories to share. I promise to share some of my own.

May God Bless You

Jva

No comments: